Key Features of Distribution Software
Distribution software offers a wide range of features that are designed to empower wholesalers, logistics services providers, and other companies who transport, distribute, and deliver finished goods to increase efficiency, cut costs, improve order fulfillment and service delivery, and boost client satisfaction.
What kinds of functionality do distribution software solutions provide? Some of the primary capabilities of todayâ€™s most widely-used distribution software packages include:
- Sourcing and Purchasing: Companies can make faster, more intelligent decisions when it comes to suppliers. Buying trends can be analyzed in-depth, and vendor performance can be closely monitored. As a result, distribution software can improve price negotiations and increase the value of vendor relationships.
- Sales Order Processing: Fully automated procedures minimize cumbersome, error-prone data entry, eliminate the need for re-work due to mistakes, and accelerate sales order processing and fulfillment.
- Invoicing: Distribution software helps companies better coordinate and manage customer billing procedures.
- Financial Management: Many distribution software applications include full support for core accounting operations such as general ledger, accounts receivable, and accounts payable.
- Inventory Management: Stock levels can be monitored â€“ in real-time â€“ across single or multiple warehouse locations and replenished as needed. This facilitates the successful use of just-in-time inventory models. Additionally, it eliminates the risk of the overages that waste real estate and financial resources, as well as the shortages that can cause delays and negatively impact customer satisfaction and retention.
- Customer Relationship Management: Many of the available distribution software systems on the market offer simple customer and contact management capabilities.
- Delivery Scheduling and Tracking: With distribution software, future shipments can be set up, while the status of deliveries in progress can be closely monitored. Some of the more advanced distribution software packages make it easy to coordinate and manage deliveries across multiple distribution channels.
Since distributors and other companies in the delivery and transport industry need unhindered insight into their most important operations, many distribution software packages offer the ability to report on and analyze detailed data. This allows them to continuously monitor key activities, so they can rapidly identify the key patterns and trends that positively or negatively impact the business. It also helps to uncover problems and areas that are in need of improvement, and to take swift corrective action before they affect market share and the bottom line.
Many workers at logistics and distribution companies are often on the road. These employees are the â€śfront linesâ€ť to the customers, ensuring that service is efficient, and that orders are fulfilled in a timely and professional manner. Therefore, they need immediate access to the information contained within distribution software systems. Thatâ€™s why many distribution software vendors have incorporated mobile capabilities into their offerings. This allows â€śon the goâ€ť staff members to access and interact with information â€“ in real-time â€“ any time, anywhere, so they can perform their jobs as effectively as possible, even when theyâ€™re on the road.